Taxes and your Marital Status


Changes in your marital status may affect your benefit and credit payments which is why it is very important to update the CRA regarding this information.

When filing your tax return, you are required to fill in the information regarding your marital status.

• Married means you have a spouse. Note that this applies only to a person to whom you are legally married.
• Living common-law means that you are living with a person who is not your spouse but with whom you have a conjugal relationship and to whom at least one of the following situations applies:
     - They have been living with you in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 continuous months.

     - These 12 continuous months includes any period you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in the relationship. 

     - They are the parent of your child by birth or adoption.

     - They have custody and control of your child and your child is wholly dependent on that person for support.

Note that you are still considered to have a spouse or common-law partner if you were separated involuntarily not because of a breakdown in your relationship. An involuntary separation could happen when one spouse or common-law partner is living away for work, school or health reasons or is incarcerated.


If you moved recently, tell CRA immediately
MyCRA: How to get started on CRA’s mobile app

The KD Blog