Expansion of the Canada Workers Benefit
The Canada Workers Benefit is a refundable tax credit that helps people who are working and earning a low income and a sizeable tax refund for workers.
With the expansion of this benefit, more Canadian low-income earners will be eligible for a tax refund of up to almost:
- $1,400 for workers who are single and without children and
- $2,400 for workers with families.
A total of 3.2 million Canadians are now eligible for this benefit.
The eligibility of the Canada Workers Benefit has been expanded to those with income up to:
- $32,244 as single Canadians, without children
- $42,197 as single-earner families
- $56,197 as double-earner families.
In addition to this, the expansion will also include a new provision which will allow secondary earners in couples, mostly women, to exclude up to $14,000 of their working income when calculating the benefit, allowing them to receive a more sizeable tax refund.