COVID-19 Scams: Known and Reported Scams you need to know
One of the many ways to protect yourself from COVID-19 scams is to know what and how scams are done at this time. Most fraudsters pose as representatives of reputable and legitimate sources or organizations such as the government or banks. Here are some of the organizations that fraudsters use for their scams:
• Loan and financial service companies offering loans, debt consolidation and other financial services
• Cleaning or heating companies offering duct cleaning services or air filters to protect from COVID-19
• Local and provincial hydro/electrical power companies threatening to disconnect your power for non-payment
• Public Health Agency of Canada tricking you into confirming your health card and credit card details for a prescription
• Government departments sending out phishing emails.