Alberta’s Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Relaunch Grant
How does this program work?
Eligible SMEs can apply for 15% of their pre-COVID-19 monthly revenue up to a maximum of $5,000 in funding. This funding can be used to help shoulder a portion of their relaunch costs such as implementing measures to minimize COVID-19 transmission. Relaunch costs can include those incurred from installing physical barriers, purchasing personal protective equipment and disinfecting supplies, paying rent and employee wages and replacing inventory.
Who are eligible?
To apply for this grant, the Alberta business, cooperative or non-profit organization must meet all the following:
- Be any of the following legal entities:
o Partnership registered under the Partnership Act (Alberta)
o Sole Proprietor with a trade name registered under the Partnership Act (Alberta)
o Corporation incorporated under a special act or private act of the Alberta legislature
o Non-profit registered under a special act or a private act of the Alberta legislature
o Non-Profit registered under part 9 of the Companies Act (Alberta)
o Society registered under the Societies Act (Alberta) or Agricultural Societies Act (Alberta)
o Cooperative registered under the Cooperatives Act (Alberta).
- Maintain a permanent establishment in Alberta and be established in good standing under at least one of the above mentioned acts / legislation.
- Be carrying on a business / operations or were eligible to carry on a business / operations in Alberta on February 29, 2020.
- Have less than 500 employees (full time, part-time and contract combined)
- Have been ordered to temporarily close or curtail operations through a COVID-19 public health order.
- Have experienced a reduction in revenue of at least 50% in April and / or May 2020 in comparison to April 2019, May 2019 or February 2020 as a result of the public health orders.
- Are open or plan to reopen as public health orders are lifted through Alberta’s phased relaunch.
- Have not received any payments, grants or amounts from any other sources including insurance to replace or compensate for the loss of revenue other than the amounts received from the following government relief programs:
o Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
o Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA)
o Western Economic Development Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)
o Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
o Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA)
o Government of Alberta grant relief funding for the child care sector
Who is ineligible?
The following organizations are ineligible for this program:
- Non-profit organizations that receive operational funding from government except for agricultural societies
- Non-profit organizations that receive funding from the following:
o Canada Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sports Organizations
o Canada Emergency support for women’s shelters and sexual assault centres
o Alberta Emergency Funding for Charities, Non-profits and Food Banks administered by FCSS
o Alberta Mental Health and Addiction COVID-19 Community Funding grant
o Alberta Emergency Funding for Women and Homeless Shelters.
- Municipalities and overnight camps
How to apply?
For the first week, there is a specific application day for organizations based on their region.
- June 29, 2020: North (excluding Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Cold Lake and Lloydminster)
- June 30, 2020: South (excluding Edmonton, Leduc, Wetaskiwin, Red Deer, Airdrie, Calgary, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge)
- July 1, 2020: Urban (includes Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Cold Lake, Lloydminster, Leduc, Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Red Deer, Airdrie, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge)
- July 2, 2020: Calgary
- July 3, 2020: Edmonton
- July 4 onward: Any organization can apply at any time before the program closes
Application intake will remain open until August 31, 2020 or for 4 weeks following the start of Phase 3 of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy – whichever is later.
To apply, organizations must do the following:
- Read the guidelines: SME Relaunch Grant guidelines
- Create a user account and log into the online application portal Application Portal Here
- Complete and submit online application package.
What happens after submitting your application?
Program applications will be processed within 10 business days. You will receive funds via Electronic Fund Transfer directly into your bank account once you are approved.