Do you want to save money on your home expenses? Take a look at some common ways to cut back on your home expenses… https://t.co/8SI0fLyziz
Frequently Asked Questions: Charity and Givingin Tax Advice Information and Updates
Are you a frequent supporter of Canadian charities? If yes, here are some of the most frequently asked questions on giving to charities.
• How can you check if a charity is registered? Find out the charity’s registration number and confirm its status in the CRA’s List of Charities: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/charities-giving/charities-listings.html. You can also call the Charities Directorate at 1-800-267-2384.
• Can a charity return a donation? Generally, no. At law, a gift transfers ownership of the money or other gifted property from the donor to the charity. Once transfer is made, the charity is obliged to use the gift in carrying out its charitable purpose. But there are exceptions. A charity may try to retain the goodwill of donors seeking the return of their gifts by offering to transfer the gifted property to another charity.
• Does a charity have to send copies of receipts to the CRA? No, but they have to keep copies of all receipts they have issued for at least 2 years from the end of the calendar year the donations were made in.
• Can a charity correct or replace a receipt? Yes, a charity can give a replacement receipt. If the charity used pre-printed receipts that contain errors, they can cross out the errors, add the correct information using a stamp (if possible) and make the changes on both the donor’s and duplicate copies. If a replacement receipt is needed, the charity must keep its copy of the original receipt and mark “cancelled” on it.
• Is it safe to donate online? You should only make donations if the webpages are secure. If you are unsure, you can contact the charity for other ways to donate.
• How can you make a complaint about a charity? You can go to this link to make a complaint: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/charities-giving/charities/contact-charities-directorate.html#report
• How can you report charity fraud? You can call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
Do you have any concerns about charity and giving? Contact us at KD today!
- Simplified Measures to Address Income Sprinkling
- Remaining Tax Measures from Budget 2017 Receive Ro...