Disagree with your tax assessment? File an objection

by in Tax Advice Information and Updates
Disagree with your tax assessment? File an objection

If you have received your Notice of Assessment and disagree with it, you have the right to object. 

You can start by filing an objection with the CRA.  Filing an objection is the first step in the formal process of resolving a dispute. 

For individuals, you can file an objection whichever of the following two dates is later:
-      One year after the date of the return’s filing deadline or
-      90 days after the day the CRA sent the Notice of Assessment.

If you are unable to file within the time limit mentioned above because of circumstances beyond your control, you can apply for an extension.  Write a letter of your request for extension to the Chief of Appeals at your Appeals Intake Centre. Make sure you include your reason for not filing an objection on time.  Also, make sure that your request for extension is made within one year after the expiration of the time limit to file an objection.

If in case you disagree with the CRA’s decision on your objection, the next step is to appeal your assessment to the Tax Court of Canada, either under the Informal Procedure or the General Procedure.  The time limit for filing an appeal is 90 days from the date on the notice. 

If you miss the time limit, you can file a request for extension with the Tax court of Canada. This request must be made within one year after the expiration of the time limit to file an appeal. 

If you need further assistance regarding your Notice of Assessment, contact KD!

Source: www.cra.gc.ca

Rate this blog entry:
KD PROFESSIONAL is a group of interconnected companies offering a wide range of financial, accounting and tax services to individuals and businesses across Canada.

Through our experienced staff and strategic alliances, we provide exemplary service and solutions to maximize your cash flow, while preserving Wealth.


  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest Sunday, 20 May 2018

If you have a question about one of our products or services, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Please Enter Your Name
Please Enter A Valid Email
Please Enter Your Phone Number
Please select your preferred method of contact.
Refresh Please letters shown!

KD Professional Services
Monday-Friday 9am- 5pm
102, 221 18th Street SE
Calgary, AB, T2E 6J5


Read our Tweets